Assertion and Reason
Assertion and Reason , Assertion means a statement and reason means an explanation about that particular statement.
Tricks to answer Assertion and Reason questions
5 best tips and strategies for students to answer assertion questions are given below:
1. Take time to read your exam assertion–reason questions
If you rush through the assertion questions, you may not be able to answer it correctly. So, read the question carefully to understand the assertion statement. Then, figure out whether the reason statement is true or not. Once you feel you have found the correct answer, read both the given statements once more. This time, if you feel confident about your answer, go ahead and select the option that you think is right. Also, before your exams, sleep well so that you are not drowsy and unfocused at the time of answering questions.
2. Think of each statement independently
Evaluate the given statements independently to figure out the correct answer.
Here are the different scenarios for assertion–reason questions:
- Both assertion and reason are false.
- and Both assertion and reason are true, but the given reason gives an inaccurate explanation.
- Both assertion and reason are true, and the given reason gives an accurate explanation.
- The assertion is false, and the reason is true.
- The assertion is true, and the reason is false.
In certain questions, the reason provides the correct explanation for the given assertion statement, while in others it does not. If your concepts are clear, you will be able to quickly spot the inaccuracy in the explanation and select the correct answer. You need to think logically and use your conceptual understanding to analyse the scenario before answering assertion questions. For revising the concepts present in your syllabus chapters, you can use CBSE study materials such as NCERT solutions and concept videos.
3. How to solve assertion and reason-type questions?
Let’s take a closer look at an assertion and reason-type example question to understand how to answer such questions.
- Copper wire has low resistivity. (Assertion Statement)
- Copper is a bad conductor of electricity. (Reason/Explanation)
You are required to choose the correct answer from the following options:
Both A and B are True.
Both A and B are False.
A is True and B is a correct explanation of A.
A is True and B is an incorrect explanation of A.
A is False, but B is True.
Here is an analysis of the answer options given in the example question:
- In the example above, the correct answer is Option 4. Here, if you have thoroughly studied the chapter called Electricity in CBSE Science Physics, you will remember the concept of usage of copper wires for electricity transmission.
- In the question, A is True because copper wires have low resistivity. B is False because copper wires are good conductors of electricity. So, you can rule out Option A and Option B.
- In Option 3, B is given as a correct explanation of A which means copper wires have low resistivity because they are bad conductors of electricity. If you have grasped the concept, you will realise that because of the low resistivity of copper wires, they are good conductors of electricity. This fact makes Option 3 incorrect and Option 4 correct.
- Option 5 is not the answer because the assertion statement in A is true.
4. Practising assertion questions with practice tests
Assertion questions can be confusing. You need to know the meaning of the options available to get the answer right. Here, practice tests can be useful. Just reading tips on answering may not be effective. Tips are great for developing your own strategies to tackle the exam questions. If you practise assertion questions, you will improve your thinking abilities. Once your practice test results are available, check whether you happen to lose marks due to lack of conceptual knowledge, overconfidence or lack of focus resulting from nervousness.
5. Revise concepts with sample papers
To practise assertion-based questions, you can refer to the latest sample papers. The practice questions along with the answer keys in the sample papers will help you to polish your skills.
Practice online Assertion and Reason MCQ